Monday, February 1, 2010

Why did I change my mind on Cleopatra?

It's this picture that is being circulated as Cleopatra when it is Arsinoe IV.

It's clearly not the hooked nosed hag that history records as what Cleopatra looked like, But it is the image of a child Queen, which regardless of the amount of time served that was what Arsinoe was before Cleo's deadly mechanization killed.

The crown was an upgrade of the crown of her predacessor and previous incarnation of Arsinoe II. I was wrong in believing that Cleopatra was the incarnation of Arsinoe, I think she just made the grab for the title, after murdering her sister, in an attempt to hold on to a faltering reign.

I left the previous post, just to document the journey. I am never above to say when I am wrong on  a subject.....And boy was I wrong. That's what happens when an individual gets press that they don't deserve. Frankly after Arsinoe II on, the Ptolemies, just degenerated into a bunch of half witted hillbilly-ish murders because of the inbreeding of the line. Too bad since they had so much potential.

No comments: